Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Construction Began

Frankie loved the shop-vac box
House warming gift
Thank you, Natick, MA
Construction on Duesel House began on June 16th around 4pm. Jeff's parents came into town, and the famed "Duesel Construction" team got to work. Pop Duesel and Jeff were once employed to help renovate an uncles house, and they finished a basement in the family home on Redcoat Circle. Ok, truth be told I wasn't even a teenager at that point, so I mostly stayed out of the way. There was also a kitchen renovation, tile and grout, and a faux-wood floor in a Cape Cod condo - those I really was part of.

This is where I learned the basics of how to tear into things, with the hope that I could resurrect the mess afterwards. As teenager-hood set in, I turned to automobiles, so with my original tutor here to help me get back into the swing of home construction, we tore into the house.

The kitchen walls were well on their way to being useable, but there was telephone wire, and crumby door and window moldings that needed to be eradicated. Before I headed back to the apartment for the night, we removed all the trim from the three kitchen doors, and the window sash was already under patching and sanding.
"Hi, I was out of town all week,
and this is how I get welcomed home!"
Saturday morning we began work good and early. Leaving my dad to trim and smoothing walls around the doors, my mom and I went to Ikea and then a stop at Katie's brothers house Springfield. We acquired a new countertop, and borrowed a table saw from each place respectively. As we pulled up to the house, Katie finally got back from a work trip to Boston (She was supposed to return on Friday, but the Teamsters had another plan for her).
She was put to work oiling the counter top, and painting the remaining railing on the porch.

I removed the sink and the old countertop pretty quickly, and then got to cutting and massaging the new counter for the Kitchen. By 5 that afternoon, the kitchen was back in action and even the door trim was put back in place.
Paint, countertop, and some moldings. Not a difficult couple steps to makeover a kitchen.

Highly delecate task of cutting out the sink.


Final product with head contractor Duesel

Matt's table saw is being put to serious use
Door Trim


No comments:

Post a Comment